Thursday, September 11, 2014

What's this all about...?

I have a very dear friend of mine who is about to have her first child.  She invited me to go to a jewelry party with her this past weekend.  As we were talking about it; she said she wanted to give her husband a list of ideas for a "push gift."  A what???  A push gift.  I'm a mother of 2, one of whom is under the age of 2.  And I had NEVER heard of this.  So, I had to ask, although based on the name, I had a pretty good idea.

To my horror, my assumptions were confirmed.  It's a gift from the father to the mother for delivering the baby.  Are you kidding me????  Is this what we've come to???  I've had 2 children - one was induced and the other was done totally au naturale.  So believe me when I say I totally understand the hard work of carrying and delivering children.  But is the gift not that new life you're holding in your arms???  The life that the love between your husband and yourself created??  Is it not an honor to create, carry, and birth that life???

Do we see it as such a burden that we're now expecting gifts from our husbands as "compensation???"  Especially to those of us who are Christians, that child is a blessing. The best gift you will ever receive.  And as a Christian woman, it is also our duty to carry and deliver any children we are given.  (Queue the feminists...)

Don't get me wrong.  If your husband decides to give you a gift as a sign of gratitude and respect, I think that's wonderful.  But apparently, we are now flat-out demanding a gift.  And I just think that is so, so, so sad.  This is what our world is coming to.  A world of entitlement and a world where we expect rewards for something we're supposed to be doing anyways. Another material item to overshadow the biggest miracle there is.   And it just breaks my heart to see the downward spiral we're in.

No comments:

Post a Comment